Gathanga Match Report

As predicted by our “local weatherman”, the sky was merciful as it spared us the rain just before and during the game. The pitch was perfect for an exciting game, and that is exactly what the fans at Lower Kabete got, an exciting game of football that ended with a 2-1 win for us.

Reuben ‘Lefty’ Onsando took home the Man of the Match gong with a commanding game in defense and dangerous romps up in attack. ‘Kasee’ Mutesa was the man with the goals though, a poacher’s close-range goal from a set-piece for an equalizer before the icing on the cake in the last minute, a scorcher, to give us the maximum point.

Makori and Adet were our central defense pairing with Lefty and Ihaji completing the backline. The engine was manned by Justo, Gody and Walt who was doing the link-up with attack. Upfront we had Olii Marcelo on the Left, Kasee on the right and Marvo as the target man. Musa was the man between the posts. Shem, Kangi, Keegan, Jabez, Caleb, Byron and Atuulo were the men on the bench. Kangi, Keegan and Atuulo replaced Olii, Marvo and Justo deep into the second half.

A logistic hiccup meant we warmed up for the match in just about 5 mins before kickoff. This saw us on the backfoot for most of the early exchanges in the game with the opponents launching attack after attack. Our backline was up to the task though, fending of the attacks with aplomb. Our passing seemed lethargic and ponderous with uncoordinated attacks upfront. However, as the half wore on, our boys slowly started to assert our dominance. Walt was directing the attack team with more command as Justo and Gody took over the midfield superiority. Olii lacked composure to bury a ball in a move expected to end up in the net just after Walt had blasted into a defender. The first half ended with us clearly on top.

The first attack by the opponents early in the second half led to a goal; Musa misread a simple lob that gifted the opponents an undeserved lead. But our boys showed their fighting spirit by launching attack after attack. A set-piece by Ihaji which was not fully cleared was blasted in by Kasee from close range to make it one all. The opponents did a great job of keeping the 1-1 scoreline till the 90th minute despite the constant barrage to their post. They could however do nothing to stop Kasee’s thunderbolt from distance to make it 2-1. It was not over yet as a rare attack by the opponents immediately after nearly led to their equalizer. From their missed chance, we launched a quick counter attack, Walt making a dash with the ball from deep inside our half to lay it off for Keegan for an ostensibly easy chance but Keegan sadly fluffed the lines. It was the last play of the game.

We resume training on Monday to prepare for an away trip to Ziwani for Uprising FC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *